Cobbling together several photos, How-Tos and mental pictures, I came up with the fascinator I envisioned earlier this month.
The materials and tools were pretty straightforward:
- a comb base- stripped coque feathers
- a few craft feathers for fill
- curved peacock feathers
- glue gun
- needle and thread
I started by gluing together groups of feathers. This makes it much easier to experiment with the composition on the comb. Once I decided how I wanted them to lay along the side of the comb, I stitched them one with carpet thread.
Once I built up the general shape with groups of feathers, I used the tips of craft and coque feathers to cover the thread. Tiny dabs of hot glue keep the feathers in place, but I made sure not to let things get blobby.
And here's the final product. The comb stays securely in my hair. It also allows me to angle the feathers to be more or less over my eyes. Overall, I count it a success!